Saturday, October 16, 2010

How to finish a novel

When asked, "What are you planning to do with your life?" I typically say right away, "I'm trying to publish a novel."
There is a slight problem that I have run into in the process of getting a novel published, and that is finishing the blasted thing. As stated in previous blogs, the novel I'm currently working on is Resonance. I started it back in my Junior year of college as a nice little short story about this character who stupidly goes searching for something and ends up in a very bad situation (trying to avoid spoilers for those of you who don't want them). Now, it has progressed into a 4 part novel. Part One, Divergence, is based off this short story. So far, it appears that the actual length of Divergence is going to be well over 90 pages, when it was originally planned to be a 20 page prologue to the rest of the story. The storyline progresses happily along through the first about 30 pages of Part Two, then falls into the abyss of the unfinished novel. I have managed to get a few glitchy scenes in Part Two done, but it desperately needs fleshing out. Part Three and Part Four (I haven't figured out where the dividing line is between them just yet) are in a constant state of growth and flux. Parts One and Two really are mostly done to ease the reader into the world of Resonance, and Part Three is where everything starts to really come together. However, this is a problem, as the rough idea that I had for the last two parts of the book is going through an overhaul.
And the sad thing is, I already have the end scene and the epilogue written. So, I guess at least I know where the story will eventually manage to end. I just need to get there, and I need to get there soon.

In other news, my NaNo story is currently up in the air. So, to my friend and rival in NaNo over at By The Dwindling Moonlight ( you should all go check out his blog so he has to write more of them :D ) I am not cheating the NaNo rules, as Agni was only created a couple of weeks ago, and I will be thinking of a very good restaurant that I want to eat at when I have the largest word count come the end of November.

Look forward to a few Flash elements beginning to make their way onto the website, as well as a map and some images from Resonance as soon as I actually get the time to work on them, life has been pretty hectic recently between school, work and extra-curriculars such as finishing Resonance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers